Jun 14, 2017
Today's episode is an exploration of the intersection between Tracey's work and Cayly's work, talking all about the benefits of combining mental health therapy with acupuncture or other forms of bodywork for facilitating and often accelerating healing.
They hope this episode inspires you to take a chance on a healing modality you may have been hesitant to try and empowers you to become a more active participant in your own healing journey by taking the brave step of asking for help.
Because none of us can do this human existence thing alone. Not Tracey. Not Cayly. Not anyone.
Other highlights from the episode include:
- How utilizing multiple modalities simultaneously can help accelerate the process of healing
- Cayly and Tracey’s experiences combining therapy with bodywork
- A quick and dirty breakdown about how acupuncture works from a biomedical perspective
- Chris Kresser (https://chriskresser.com) and his series of articles about how acupuncture works from a biomedical perspective (https://chriskresser.com/chinese-medicine-demystified-part-iv-how-acupuncture-works/)
- Circulatory, immune, and nervous system responses to acupuncture
- How acupuncture moves your body out of a fight-or-flight nervous system state and into a rest-and-digest nervous system state to facilitate healing and mitigate the effects of stress
- Tracey’s experience having acupuncture from Cayly and other pracitioners
- How acupuncture helps alleviate pain
- Acupuncture as an effective treatment for irregular menstrual cycles, dysmenorrhea, and infertility
- Bessel van der Kolk (http://besselvanderkolk.net/index.html) and The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma (https://www.amazon.com/Body-Keeps-Score-Healing-Trauma/dp/0143127748)
- Bessel van der Kolk on On Being with Krista Tippett (https://onbeing.org/programs/bessel-van-der-kolk-how-trauma-lodges-in-the-body/)
- Traumatic injury and chronic pain — EMDR (http://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/), massage, and acupuncture as effective treatments
- The benefit of physical touch and the role of oxytocin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin)
- How the vulnerability of asking for help in different ways helps to build intimacy, trust, and connection
- Can you break up with your healthcare provider? What is the role of the practitioner-patient relationship in the healing process?
- The power of holding a different story for another person before they are able to envision on their own
- Tracey’s experience of exceeding her doctor’s expectations following a major abdominal surgery following the birth of her son and the role crossfit played in this process
- Kelly Brogan, MD (http://kellybroganmd.com) and her podcast interview with Joe Rogan (http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/kelly-brogan)
- Medication as one tool amidst many tools available to us for healing
- Problems with access to healthcare for those who often need it most and the failure of insurance to cover mental health therapy, acupuncture and other bodywork
- And more!