Jun 21, 2017
This week, Tracey and Cayly welcome their friend, Crossfit coach and nutrition expert Liz Winters, to the show to talk about all things food, mindful eating, and how to negotiate with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
This conversation was so much fun to have, and Liz offers a ton of useful insights into cultivating a healthier, more sustainable relationship with food. Please note also that the microphone did not pick up Liz’s voice quite as clearly as it did Cayly and Tracey’s, so please bear with them through a few sections during which she is a little bit challenging to hear.
Highlights from this episode include:
- Who is Liz Winters of Sprout Wellness? (http://www.sproutwellnesspdx.com/aboutliz/)
- Liz’s work with postpartum women
- Do men seek out nutritional support as well? What has Liz’s experience been working with men in this capacity?
- How Liz got into the nutrition and fitness industries and her experience with childhood obesity
- Cayly and Tracey’s experiences being on a vegetarian diet
- How does Liz work with clients who are following a vegetarian diet?
- Is there one diet that works for everyone?
- Tracey’s experience working with Liz on her nutrition
- The importance of addressing the underlying why when determining your nutrition and body composition goals
- What started Cayly down the path of healing her relationship to food
- Tracy’s experience eliminating sugar from her diet with Liz’s support
- Common ways in which Liz’s clients push back or resist the changes they are making with regard to their nutrition and how she handles that resistance when it comes up
- Whole 30 — a protocol that Liz often uses in her client work (https://whole30.com)
- Can you mindfully eat a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup?
- Tracey’s experience with Weight Watchers in college
- Beast in Portland (http://www.beastpdx.com)
- Liz’s ultimate goal — for her clients to actually enjoy their food
- Shame around love of food, especially for women, and fear of food (i.e. moralizing food)
- How Liz approaches mindset with her clients with regard to their food
- Where does digestion start? And how does stress around food affect your body’s ability to absorb nutrients properly?
- And more!