Nov 28, 2017
On this weekâ€™s episode of Curious & Curiouser, Tracey and Cayly are answering another listener question. Specifically, they are tackling the following inquiry:
What if you make a life choice that always has you outside your comfort zone? Is it best to stay in a job (or something else) that stresses you out but makes you grow as a person, or switch to something thatâ€™s a better match for your personality but leads to less growth overall?
Great question, listener (who shall remain nameless)!
In this conversation, Tracey and Cayly talk about being introverts in extroverted jobs, how they manage this apparent mismatch, and why they believe the discomfort is worthwhile for them in their professions. They also offer some suggestions on questions you can ask yourself if youâ€™re afraid youâ€™ve made the wrong choice career-wise.
They also talk about staying in relationships that are uncomfortable, reasons why people make this choice, and ways to navigate this less-than-ideal situation if you find yourself in it.
As always, reviews and 5-star ratings in iTunes are appreciated, so please consider leaving one if youâ€™re enjoying the show and finding it helpful. Tracey and Cayly would be super grateful if you did!
Highlights from this episode:
- What to do if youâ€™re in a introvert is a fast-paced job. (i.e. Should you stay in that position in spite of the discomfort?)
- How do Tracey and Cayly handle working in extroverted jobs when they self-identify as introverts?
- How do you know if the discomfort of your job becomes too much to be healthy, sustainable, and/or helpful?
- Our world caters to extroverts more than introverts and why introverts will likely be more uncomfortable more often in our culture
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Canâ€™t Stop Talking by Susain Cain (https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153)
- How Tracey talks with her clients about introversion and extroversion and building muscles on both sides
- Why Cayly says â€œNoâ€ to social invitations most of the time
- How Tracey manages her energy between client meetings, improv, and parenting obligations
- What questions to ask yourself to figure out if the discomfort youâ€™re feeling is worthwhile. (i.e. Is it useful or irritating discomfort?)
- What Cayly realized about her secret dream job
- The importance of questioning your assumptions yourself and Episode 12 about the stories we tell ourselves (http://organicacupunctureportland.com/curious-and-curiouser-the-stories-we-tell-ourselves/)
- Why Cayly is working to not identify so strongly as an introvert and is pushing back against her own instincts more often
- Why people stay in imperfect, uncomfortable relationships
- The importance of making a plan to get out of an uncomfortable situation and the reality of logistics when it comes to changing directions
- The power of doing one thing differently
- How identifying your values and priorities factor in when making these decisions
- Is it okay to give yourself permission to stay where you are?
- Does being in the right place ever feel uncomfortable?
- And more!