Nov 14, 2017
On this week’s episode of Curious & Curiouser, Tracey and Cayly are talking all about periods. They’re discussing PMS, hormones, fertility, and how to stop seeing your menstrual cycle as a nuisance.
Cayly gives an overview about how your hormones fluctuate throughout the month and how you might experience those fluctuations physically and emotionally, and Tracey and Cayly both talk about what PMS feels like for them. Tracey also talks about what it’s like to cycle every month without actually bleeding, and offers advice for parents on how to prepare their daughters for their periods.
Tracey and Cayly want to normalize periods, PMS, and women’s bodies in general, and believe conversations like the one they have on this episode are a good place to start. This show is full of useful resources, and they sincerely hope it helps you see your own period in a more positive light. And if you’re a man listening to the episode, they hope it gives you a bit more insight into what the women in your life might be experiencing every month.
As always, reviews and 5-star ratings in iTunes are appreciated, so please hop over to the show page to share your thoughts. And if there is a woman — or man — in your life who might benefit from the information offered in this episode, please share it with her — or him. Let’s normalize periods, shall we?
Highlights from the episode:
- Can PMS hijack your day, your life, your emotions, etc?
- How do we navigate PMS in a way that works for us and for those around us?
- How Tracey and Cayly talk to their partners about PMS and their cycles
- What PMS is like for both Tracey and Cayly’s
- How does not having a uterus affect Tracey’s cycle and her ability to track changes throughout the month?
- Why Cayly has all of her female patients track their menstrual cycles
- An overview of the hormonal fluctuations throughout the menstrual cycle (http://helloflo.com/heres-what-happens-to-your-hormone-levels-during-your-menstrual-cycle/)
- Mittelschmerz (i.e. Mid-cycle pain) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelschmerz)
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler (https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909)
- Is your menstrual cycle a nuisance or an ally?
- On structuring athletic training around a woman’s menstrual cycle
- How Tracey talked to her daughter about her period and why we should teach young girls about their menstrual cycles in detail
- The Period Book (https://www.amazon.com/Period-Book-Girls-Guide-Growing/dp/0802777368)
- The shame we felt as young girls with regard to our periods
- Why we need to teach boys about periods and menstrual cycles, too
- What happened when Cayly started her period during sex with a new partner
- Can sexual intercourse kickstart your period?
- How Tracey and Cayly talk with their partners about PMS
- How do you know if your PMS symptoms are “normal” or if they are pathological?
- Why we need to normalize and talk about menopause more openly
- The politics of the female body
- The importance of advocating for yourself as a woman and finding a doctor who takes your symptoms seriously
- How acupuncture and Chinese herbs can help you with painful, irregular periods; Contact Cayly to learn more (http://organicacupunctureportland.com/contact-cayly-to-schedule-your-appointment-today/)
- And more!