Dec 6, 2017
This week on Curious & Curiouser, Tracey and Cayly are answering a follow-up question sent in by a listener in response to their recent episode (#34) about navigating the holidays in the face of challenging family dynamics.
A curious podcast listener posited the following: How do you know when it’s time to end a relationship with a family member?
Although Tracey and Cayly have talked around this topic before, they tackle it head on in this conversation. They also talk about their own experiences of distancing themselves from family members and ending relationships altogether.
Tracey revisits the idea of grey couch people and the ladies discuss ways of knowing if someone in your life is capable of change.
If you enjoy this episode, head over to the show page in iTunes and leave a 5-star rating or review. Tracey and Cayly would really appreciate it!
- Tracey’s experience distancing herself from her own mother and what that relationship looks like now
- How Tracey knew it was time to stop communicating with her mom
- Grey couch people revisited
- Why being the one who sets the limit can sometimes make you the “bad guy”
- How do you deal with a family member who disagrees with your values?
- Cayly’s experience with a family member who didn’t approve of her life choices
- Do Tracey and Cayly ever feel guilty about cutting ties with family members?
- The challenge of mother/daughter relationships and Episode 3 about Motherhood (http://organicacupunctureportland.com/curious-curiouser-podcast/)
- Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents by Lindsay C. Gibson (https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Children-Emotionally-Immature-Parents/dp/1626251703)
- How do you know if someone is capable of or will change?
- The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, MD (https://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp/0143113100)
- Don’t Be A Jerk on Tracey’s website (http://practicalparentingpdx.com/dont-jerk-kids-relationships-will-fine-lets-talk-emotional-maturity/)
- Can a partnership work if only one person does the work of personal growth?
- How sibling relationships can be different from other familial relationships
- Is everyone capable of change?
- Options to explore outside of completely ending a relationship; Episode 34 about enjoying the holidays (http://organicacupunctureportland.com/curious-curiouser-podcast-episode-34-navigate-challenging-family-dynamics-set-clear-boundaries-actually-enjoy-holidays-year/)
- Adjusting your expectations when it come to family relationships
- And more!