May 9, 2018
This week on Curious & Curiouser, Tracey and Cayly are welcoming back Liz Winters of Sprout Wellness (http://www.sproutwellnesspdx.com/). If you are a long-time listener of the show, you’ll remember Liz from episodes 14 and 15. Which means you already know how fabulous she is.
If you’re a new listener, here’s what you need to know: Liz Winters is a nutritional therapy practitioner, crossfit coach, and the Regional Director for Birthfit NE Portland (https://neportland.birthfit.com/). She’s also an all around wonderful human.
In this conversation, Liz talks with Tracey and Cayly about fitness during pregnancy and after birth, pelvic floor health, core strength, diaphragmatic breathing, and so much more. This episode is full of so much useful information — and not just for moms or future moms. You will love it. Guaranteed.
Highlights from the episode:
- What is Birthfit (https://neportland.birthfit.com/what-we-do)
- The role of chiropractic care during pregnancy and post partum
- Pelvic floor health and stress incontinence
- Relaxin and prolactin
- Rebuilding strength post partum and Liz’s experience following the birth of her first child
- Diastasis recti (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastasis_recti)
- Birthfit functional progressions (https://birthfit.mykajabi.com/store/5od2ZWeG)
- What is the core?
- Should we be doing sit-ups?
- Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS) (https://trimotus.com/what-dynamic-neuromuscular-stabilization)
- Why Liz believes you need 18 months of recovery work after giving birth
- How breathing plays into core strength and intra-abdominal pressure
- How over engaging the pelvic floor can also be problematic
- The problem with always sucking in your stomach
- Destigmatizing pelvic floor dysfunction
- Pelvic floor physical therapy
- Wild Feminine by Tami Kent (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043RSK6M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1)
- Birthfit Power Hour (https://neportland.birthfit.com/upcoming-events/2018/5/12/free-birthfit-power-hour)
- Birthfit Prenatal Workshop (https://neportland.birthfit.com/upcoming-events/2018/4/5/birthfit-prenatal-workshop)
- And more!
Piquing Our Curiosity:
The Willow breast pump (https://www.willowpump.com/). “Designed to work quietly in your bra with no attachments, Willow lets you keep your clothes on—so you can move and pump as you please.” What? Yep. Sounds pretty fabulous to us. Check them out online here (https://www.willowpump.com/).