May 23, 2018
This week’s episode has the potential to ruffle some feathers. Because Tracey and Cayly are talking about the glamorization of drinking in our current cultural climate and the potentially negative effects of this kind of marketing.
Specifically, Tracey and Cayly are asking the question: Is our society currently normalizing alcoholism for women, especially moms?
Deep breaths before this one, friends.
Any of you who know Tracey or Cayly personally also know they both enjoy a nice tequila now and again. So neither of them are against drinking or are trying to demonize alcohol with this conversation.
What they are trying to do is talk about the difference between enjoying an alcoholic beverage once in a while and the blatant glamorization of alcohol consumption, for women in particular.
This is a conversation that was first brought to Cayly’s attention by several women she follows online (a few of them listed below) who are also all sober. Tracey and Cayly thought it was important to add their non-sober voices to the choir of folks talking about this issue.
They sincerely hope this discussion is useful and insightful for some of you.
As always, we so appreciate you listening to the show. If you’re enjoying it, please consider leaving us a review in iTunes. This is how we reach more listeners and how we will be able to continue making the show going forward. Help some sisters out, huh?
Highlights from the episode:
- Alcohol as a social lubricant
- Glamorization of alcohol for women and moms
- When not drinking stands out
- Asking yourself WHY you’re drinking
- The importance of seeing healthy use of alcohol
- Children are observant, they notice your drinking
- Kristen Bell on Ellen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DugkA9y4Nrw&t=267s)
- Unhealthy use of alcohol vs. addiction
- How Mommy Drinking Culture Has Normalized Alcoholism for Women in America (https://www.babble.com/parenting/mommy-drinking-culture-wine-motherhood/)
- Relationship between alcohol and breast cancer risk
- Alcohol and sexual exploration
- Drinking for social confidence
- And more!
Social media accounts/individuals Cayly follows who initially got her thinking about her attitude towards alcohol and how it is marketed to women:
- Laura McKowen (https://www.instagram.com/laura_mckowen/)
- Tell Better Stories 2018 (https://www.instagram.com/tellbetterstories2018/)
- Hip Sobriety (https://www.instagram.com/hipsobriety/)
- Nicole Antoinette (https://www.instagram.com/nic.antoinette/)