May 30, 2018
On this week’s episode of the podcast, Tracey and Cayly are talking to special guest, Staci Humphrey, about her experience growing up in a Conservative Evangelical community in eastern Oregon.
We talk about her journey away from this community as a teenager and adult, and how the experiences of her childhood continue to impact her worldview today, especially as she is now raising two young boys of her own.
Tracey and Cayly are thrilled to bring this conversation and hope it resonates with some of you out there. For Cayly, who moved away from the Mormon church at a young age, much of Staci’s story felt familiar. Perhaps this will be true for others as well. And for those with a completely different upbringing, Tracey and Cayly hope this discussion is interesting and enlightening.
As always, reviews and 5-star ratings in iTunes are appreciated, so please head over to the show page and leave us one if you haven’t yet. Tracey and Cayly would really appreciate it!
Highlights from the episode:
- Transitioning from home school to public school
- What was dating like
- When did Staci start to move away from the community ideologically
- True Love Waits (https://www.lifeway.com/en/product-family/true-love-waits) and how this contributed to Staci’s changing viewpoints
- Episode 8 on Sex Myths (http://organicacupunctureportland.com/curious-curiouser-podcast-episode-8-sex-myths-debunked/)
- How getting married young affected Staci and changed how her community viewed her
- Staci’s experience of getting divorced
- How Staci’s childhood experiences inform her parenting now
- The role and importance of mythology in human experience
- How Staci maintains connections to family in spite of moving away from their church as an adult and how Cayly has struggled with this after leaving the Mormon church
- And more!