Sep 12, 2018
This week’s question is: Is it reasonable to ask someone to care about certain things as much as you do?
In this conversation, Tracey and Cayly are talking about emotional labor in relationships and how to approach this topic in a partnership when it feels like one person is carrying more of the load.
Enjoy this episode and, as always, please consider leaving a review or 5-star rating in iTunes if you’re a fan of a show. Tracey and I would really appreciate it!
And, finally, if you’d like to support the podcast by making a donation, you can do so through Paypal here. Tracey and I sincerely appreciate it.
Other topics discussed include:
- Why it’s essential to ask for what we need and why having to ask doesn’t mean our partner doesn’t love us
- How women are conditioned not to rock the boat and why it is essential that they risk doing so
- The importance of showing gratitude when your partner is doing more of the emotional labor
- How defensiveness derails communication
- Negotiating household tasks before living together getting married
- Modeling gender equality in a relationship for your kids
- Why relationships require conflict to flourish
- How avoiding confrontation or trying to keep the peace actually makes relationships more fragile
- And so much more!
Women Aren’t Nags — We’re Just Fed Up in Harper’s Bazaar (https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a12063822/emotional-labor-gender-equality/)
Be the Person You Want to Find by Cheri Huber (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0963625527?ie=UTF8&tag=caylymarisa-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=0963625527)
John Gottman and the Gottman Institute (https://www.gottman.com/)
How to Be an Adult in Relationships (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570628122?ie=UTF8&tag=caylymarisa-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=1570628122)
Hold Me Tight by Sue Johnson (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031611300X?ie=UTF8&tag=caylymarisa-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=031611300X)
Improv(e) Your Conversations by Patrick King (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01604IB3M?ie=UTF8&tag=caylymarisa-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B01604IB3M)
Piquing Our Curiosity:
Health-ade Kombucha (https://health-ade.com/) & Lion Heart Kombucha (http://www.lionheartkombucha.com/), two of my favorite kombucha brands, recently discovered during Cayly’s hiatus from drinking alcohol. 90+ days and going! :)